Eloquence VAR Letter, Nov. 1996
Böblingen, November 12, 1996
Dear Eloquence Partner,
We have made a big step forward: Eloquence Version A.06.00
for HP-UX and Windows NT platforms has entered a first Betatest
phase and will be extensively tested by selected partners.
In a second phase, starting end of November, we plan to store a
Beta-Version on a WEB server at MSE and make it available to all
interested Eloquence Partners.
HP and MSE want to make sure, that the new version A.06.00 has
at least the same quality level as the current version. Due to
the fact, that a high percentage of code has been developed from
scratch, we believe, it's a good idea to involve all your
developers and all your application code into beta-testing.
Please use this extended Beta-test phase.
The official release of Eloquence Version A.06.00 is planned
for February 1997.
And all this is new:
- Eloquence Version A.06.00 has a 3 tier, distributed architecture:
- Database-Server, supported on HP-UX and Windows NT platform
- Application-Server, supported on HP-UX, Windows NT, Windows 95
- GUI-Server, supported on HP-UX, Windows NT, Windows95, Windows3.x
- All servermodules can reside on a single system, if this system is
HP-UX or Windows NT based.
- Version A.06.00 adds to the known development environment a graphical
development environment for Windows NT und Windows95 platforms.
It will include: Multi-file Editor, integrated Network/Remote
Debugger, Cross Reference, High Performance Compiler, On-line Help.
- Version A.06.00 has a new developed Database-System with the following
- A Database-Server controls a Database-Environment with unlimited
number of databases and with unlimited number of tables,
records and fields. Current limitations for Eloquence
Databases will no longer exist.
- Database contents are much better protected against
- Transaction logging and Recovery functionality helps to insure
- Much better performance, especially with large databases.
- fully transparent for existing Eloquence application programs
- Conversion tool for existing data bases (no export/import required!)
- Version A.06.00 supports standards like ODBC, SQL, DDE, HTML
- Version A.06.00 includes new language elements like 'struct' and 'globals'.
- Version A.06.00 is supported under HP-UX 9.x, HP-UX 10.x and Windows NT Version 4.x
Well, as you can see, Hewlett-Packard and MSE have spent a lot
of efforts to further improve Eloquence and to offer a
Development- and Application platform, which is superior to all
competing products in its class.
With Eloquence on Windows NT platforms a new, fast growing
market opens up with customers, who often require only a limited
number of users and who are not willing to purchase a full HP
This is why we plan to change the product structure as follows:
Eloquence will be available as Development system only. In
addition to the currently offered full license with unlimited
number of users, we will offer a license for 1-2 users
(including one system license) and add-on user licenses.
Pricing for the new licenses is not yet final, but we expect to
offer the 1-2 user license at around 600,-- $ and each add-on
user license at around 150,--$.
Eloquence Development systems with full license can be
purchased as before under product number B1368B, as well
options like #UEJ (Upgrade from version A.03.x to A.06.00) or
#0D1 (Preinstallation) for HP-UX systems.
As you know, Eloquence Software is currently only available
on DDS tapes. The new version will also be available on CD-ROM.
Now I hope that above information is good news for you and can
help to successfully approach new customers.
More information will follow soon.
Finally I would like to remind you, that a lot of useful
information around Eloquence can be accessed on MSE's WEB
This is also the location for the Eloquence Maillist, which
is used by more than 30 partners, who exchange tips, experiences
Just in case you do not yet attend: It's worthwhile!
Jürgen Schumm HP CSO-ETC
Tel: +49 07031-142767 Fax: +49 07031-146839